League of Michigan Bicyclists (LMB) seeks a dynamic, experienced professional to join our team as Development and Membership Director. This is a full-time position based in our headquarters in Lansing (with remote working opportunities).
This position leads efforts to create and implement strategic fund development initiatives including donor stewardship and recognition, major and annual giving, planned giving, direct mail, special events, sponsorships, peer-to-peer fundraising, and grant writing. The position requires strong skills in relationship building, writing, project management, financial tracking, communication, and collaboration.
PRINCIPAL DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
- Manage and prioritize strategic fund development efforts to grow financial support overall
- Cultivate and maintain relationships with foundations, private donors, and corporate sponsors
- Grow major donor portfolio through identification, cultivation, solicitation, and stewardship
- Implement segmentation strategies to facilitate member/donor growth and retention
- Engage in targeted strategies for major gifts, planned giving, matching gifts, recurring donations, social fundraising, lapsed supporters, etc.
- Secure sponsorships for LMB Tours and other events
- Draft compelling grant proposals and reports
- Oversee proper acknowledgement and stewardship of all gifts
- Help manage CRM, including identifying opportunities to leverage database more efficiently
- Oversee special events as they relate to donor and member cultivation including sponsorships, peer-to-peer fundraising, $1 Per Rider Program, donor receptions, member mixers, etc.
- Work closely with the Communications Director to plan, draft, and execute regular communications including emails, direct mail pieces, newsletters, annual reports, magazine content, acknowledgments, and social media
- Staff committees as appropriate
- Other duties and responsibilities as needed to support operations of a small nonprofit
- Bachelor’s degree or related work experience with a preference for at least two years of fundraising experience including grant writing and individual/corporate donor recruitment/retention
- Skill in writing and editing compelling grammatically correct communications
- Excellent verbal communicator who is comfortable with public speaking
- Experience with customer relationship management (CRM) software a plus – training provided
- Basic graphic design and social media skills a plus
- Conscientiousness, strong work ethic with attention to detail
- Professional demeanor, sense of humor, and a strong ability to collaborate
- Capacity to solve problems and identify ways to complete tasks more efficiently
- Flexible and able to manage competing priorities in a changing environment
- Self-motivated and self-directed, seeking guidance when appropriate
- Ability to thrive in a blended in-person/remote work environment
- Enthusiasm for bicycling
The Development and Membership Director will report directly to the Executive Director.
- Flexibility to work non-standard hours for occasional evening and weekend events as needed
- Must be available for in-state travel (driver’s license and clean record required)
$40,000 – $60,000 commensurate with experience and qualifications. Benefits include paid time off, health coverage, employer-matched retirement plan, annual bonus opportunities, bicycle commuter incentive, and paid time off to participate in LMB Tours.
To apply, please send resume, cover letter, and three references as a single PDF to John Lindenmayer at [email protected] with subject line Development and Membership Director. The PDF file should be named as follows: LastName_FirstName_DMD.pdf. The position is open until filled.
ABOUT LEAGUE OF MICHIGAN BICYCLISTS
Founded in 1981 to lead Michigan’s bicycle movement, LMB is a statewide 501(c)(3) non-profit membership organization consisting of bicycle shops, clubs, events, organizations, and individual bicyclists united around making Michigan a more bicycle-friendly state. With our members and partners, LMB works to improve life through bicycling. For more information visit www.LMB.org.
LMB is an equal opportunity employer, committed to creating a diverse and inclusive staff and workplace. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, age, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, pregnancy, political ideology, marital status, national origin, ethnicity, genetics, disability, veteran status, and all the other fascinating characteristics that make us different. We strongly encourage applications from people who have historically been under-represented in the bicycle industry, advocacy, and nonprofit work.
LMB is an at-will employer. This is a full-time exempt position. The above position description describes the position currently available and is not intended to be an employment contract. LMB reserves the right to modify the duties or position description at any time.
Categorised in: Uncategorized